This is Africa

This is Africa

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Diaramana

I can't believe I have made it this far this fast!! I have been soooo nervous lately because I had no idea where I would be spending the rest of my time in Mali, until today! Until about 30minutes ago I had no idea what region I would be in...How far from internet (connection with my Loves) I would be?...Or how far from a market and electricity I would be?...Or if I would have phone reception??? 
Today I found out that I am in a village of 4000 people. The village is Diaramana, in the Segou Region. Although that probably sounds small to you, that is HUGE for me! I am going to have a market 6 days a week, which means I am going to be able to have fruits and vegetables (that are in season) available to me. I will have my own well, and my own negen (restroom..<hole in the ground>)..which again, sounds gross to you, but is heavenly to me!!! ;)
So, to recap I am extremely excited about my village, but that is not even the best part! I AM ONLY 20K FROM SAN (A CITY!!!) I am only a bike ride away from internet and some of the other small luxuries that are hard to come by in this country!! I am kind of In South East Mali, however considering most of Mali is off limits to Peace Corps (due to Al Qaeda) I would say that I am in East Mali. The closest country to me is Burkina Faso, therefore I am relatively near ELEPHANTS (fun fact!) Another fun fact is my Wat/San (the sector I work for) friend Lyle got assigned only 10K from me, and my BFF Pamela is in Sikasso region, and if we need to hangout we're only a LOOONG bike ride away!! 
Life is looking good today! I meet my homologue (the guy i will be trusting with my life in Diaramana) tomorrow, and will blog again soon!! 
Love from Mali to America and Back!!~PEACE* 

1 comment:

  1. Placement in an area with a few "perks" is an answer to prayer!!! It is such a blessing to recognize how God is at work! I love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete