This is Africa

This is Africa

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Site Visit

So my last few days have been a whirlwind. I have experienced so many new things, some good and some not so good. Throughout my last month and a half in Mali I thought that I had truly experienced the scariest situations, as well as truly experienced what it feels like to be in the Peace Corps. Site Visit allowed me to truly test my limits, yet again. One of the most difficult things in Mali is getting around. The transportation system here is extremely dangerous. While traveling around the country, the most prominent thought in your head is, Dear God Please Don't Let me Die. The drivers here are definitely experienced in driving like mad people, but at any point in time (like in every country) something can go very wrong. Traffic accidents are one of the leading causes of death in Mali, and one the biggest risks for Peace Corps volunteers. If there is a speed limit, i am not aware of it, and those nice little yellow lines that exist in the states (allowing people to pass each other at appropriate times) certainly does not exist here...
If the danger involved in Mali transportation wasn't enough to scar you for life, there are plenty of other elements that cause one to never want to travel cross country again. For instance, the first charter bus that I got on (FOR MY 8HOUR DRIVE)..The bus attendants placed three people in a two person sitting area. There clearly is no air conditioning. Leg room? Forget it! Smells? Don't even get me started! And if it weren't cramped enough, I had to sit with two big bags in my lap, which was just plain miserable... During my 8 hour trip the bus stops only once, at the half way mark, for you to use the restroom (PS...Public Negens SUCK!!)...but don't worry, the bus stops plenty often for people to try and sell you foods that you should not Ever eat (due to food poisoning) and for you to use the restroom in an open field where every other person on the bus can see you!
My first bus experience was by far the worst, because the bus we got on was in terrible condition. Today on my way back from San, my friend and I were able to sit beside each other, and there was a little more room. The experience wasn't too awfully terrible, until the man behind me put his living and breathing chicken (that smelled like DEATH) under my seat, and it started flapping and going crazy at my feet! Don't Worry, I only TOTALLY freaked out, and made a huge scene after it scared the living daylights out of me!!...but again not a total failure of a trip!~Some people have buses that break down on the side of the road for hours or days and leave you stranded!...or you could pay for a ticket on a bus and when you get on board you realize they sold you a seat that does not exist, so you sit on a bucket in the aisle, which is exactly what I had to do for the two hour drive from my village to San two days ago!
But enough about Transportation...
I am completely pleased with my site! When I got out to my village I had a "whoa, i live in Africa" moment. The village is gorgeous, and the people are incredibly nice. My house is HUGE, because the incredible folks at World Vision, left Peace Corps their office building which is now my home! My concession has a huge garden that is currently growing all kinds of amazing treats! I have a banana tree, an orange tree, a mango tree, a papaya tree, tomatoes, hot peppers, and who really knows what else! I definitely do not know, because clearly I have never been a farmer, or anything of the sort, to be able to identify the plants, but I have made it a goal of mine in recent years, to learn to garden, so here is my opportunity!!! I also am not sure what plants are in my garden because there is one heck of a language barrier going on in my village! My village speaks a language called Minianka, as their first language, and their second language is the one that I have been learning-Bambara! So along with the fact that my Bambara is terrible right now, no one in my village really speaks it, and no one NOT EVEN MY LANGUAGE TEACHER, Speaks English!
So far I have had my struggles in Peace Corps. I miss Jared, my friends and family more than words can say, but although I miss people I have yet to feel completely Lonely. Although HomeStay is really difficult, I have made such close friendships that have truly gotten me through this difficult time, but maaannnn lying in the middle of a house in the middle of nowhere West Africa, after not speaking English to anyone all day, I was soooo Lonely. Loneliness is an emotion that I have felt before, but in a sense of "my roommates aren't back from class, how will i entertain myself for an hour"..not like this! For a minute I pictured myself turning into Tom Hanks from 'Castaway'!..Can someone please send me a soccer ball, that I can paint a face on and name it Wilson? haha..JOKE!..but seriously I am going to need a puppy As Soon As I Move out to Site permanently!
Right now I am going to enjoy HomeStay for what it is. I swear into Peace Corps in the beginning of August and at that point I will hopefully be able to cope with loneliness! Miss you aLL!!* PeaCE*

3 comments:

  1. I was laughing throughout this post & picturing you in your different situations! bahaha Love you so much & we must skype soon because I miss you! :) Praying for you everyday!

    p.s. sorry I called you at 1 am last night! haha but atleast I got to hear your sleepy voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this blog entry over and over and tried to decide if I have ever truly been lonely. I actually even watched "Castaway" today to help me understand that feeling. I know you can be lonely in a completely crowded place. I know it would be lonely to be in an area where no one spoke my language, however, I keep going back to the fact that God sent the Holy Spirit to be our Comforter. If you can focus on Him when you are experiencing those lonely feelings, I know He will comfort and console you! Stay strong in your faith and know that many prayers are being lifted for you each day! I love you baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are at a good place today - At the French Oasis 'Camp Kangeba' outside of Bamako!! - I hope you have a little bit of rest, relaxation, and refreshment. Love you and miss you sweet girl!! Care package coming soon!!!

    ReplyDelete