This is Africa

This is Africa

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hello aLL!! I just finished my very last session as a Peace Corps Trainee. Crazy to believe that I Swear-In as a Peace Corps Volunteer in like 14 hours. This journey has been a long one, and the most difficult two months of my life. I am constantly stressed out to the max. In Mali, Stress takes on a completely different meaning. I've dealt with stress throughout my life, but nothing like this. Not only am I stressed about Language exams, and Medical issues, but I experience stress every time I have to use the negen, and eat, and go to sleep, or wake up (I've been here 2 months, yet nearly every morning I wake up in a panic, thinking where the heck am I?) These past two months I have experienced quite a bit of 'culture shock,' and found myself wondering what in the world am i doing?
The answer: I have no clue. Most days, I don't know what to think or what to feel. I feel a mixture of emotions, and have lots of highs and lots of lows.
I DO KNOW that tomorrow I will Swear-In as an official Peace Corps Volunteer and join thousands of admirable individuals. I am so proud of my accomplishment, because I know exactly what it has taken to get to this point. I know that the next few months are going to be unbearable at times, and unimaginably lonely, but after 'HomeStay' there isn't much that I can not do.
Peace Corps is HARD, especially in the 'Hard Core' Peace Corps Mali, but although I do not like this aspect most days, I am able to reach limits that I would never have EVER set for myself. Yes, I am complain and No, I may not want to do it some days, but I have done it. I have successfully completed my Peace Corps training, and will Swear-In in the morning with the incredible 22 individuals who have battled through the past two months with me!!
Wish me Luck!!
Love you aLL, and I am so thankful for all of your encouragement*

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Ashton! This is such an accomplishment & I knew you could do it! :) This just shows that you can do ANYTHING you set your mind & heart to! Love you & praying for you daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to one special lady! You know you always have my support in all you do! Just know you are loved and prayed for many times daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible!!! Congratulations to all 22 of you!!! I'm praying for you! I love you baby!!!

    ReplyDelete