This is Africa

This is Africa

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Life at Site

Life at Site has been pretty successful thus far. I have had my fair share of ups and downs already, but surprisingly I have had more ups. These past two weeks have not been too bad (as far as the loneliness goes.) My friend who lives a few villages over, came and visited me one day, and we (he) cooked rice and curry, which was a nice change from the constant stale bread, and United States sent Jif Peanut Butter, complements of Lisa Elmore. I have read two books (BOOKS, Not Magazines), from cover to cover, which does not sound like big news, unless you are my Micha Elmore, and in that case she has probably fallen out of her chair, while reading this. I have gone on one run (which if I am being totally honest was more of a brisk walk) through the outskirts of my village. I have written A LOT, but mostly in my 'Jared Journal' (I'm on page 147, so who knows if he will actually read it, because basically it is just the longest letter ever written...) I have battled a mamba, which for those of you who don't know is one of the most deadly and vicious snakes alive (it was a baby, but still one bite and I would have been dunzo!!-and my homologue may or may not have been the one who actually killed it!!) I have spent many nights watching my dear F-R-I-E-N-D-S, Rachel, Ross, Joey, Chandler, Monica, and Phoebe swap interesting stories around the coffee table at 'Central Perk' (on my laptop, which I spend the better half of my day charging with a car battery) and due to the constant down pours that this fine Rainy Season has brought me, I have waded through far more BO-JI (poop water) than I would ever care to admit!! I went my longest length of time without batheing- EIGHT DAYS...(I blame the discovery of a febreeze bottle at the bottom of my suitcase, and the odor masking aroma that comes from my Off Bug Spray...) I know I should be ashamed, but truth be told I was happier walking around in my filth, than hovering over a nasty 'Bo' Hole!! I went to church with my ja-tigi (dad type person) which was a neat experience. I danced and sang along with the women and had a great time, but was constantly distracted by all of the children staring at me, trying to figure out why there was a ghost in their sanctuary...
This past week Peace Corps sent me a private language tutor, who helped me better integrate into my village. We spent every hour together, so we obviously got to know each other really well. I really enjoyed her company, and learned a lot more about the Malian culture and tried to educate her as much as possible on life in America. She can't believe that I don't cook (which becomes harder each day..) because women here spend all day doing chores such as cooking for their husbands and twenty children, and washing their clothes. I like to explain that in America my father does the cooking, and women and men take turns washing clothes (they think this is funny/crazy!!) and they think I am incredibly lazy, which maybe I am! 
Yesterday my tutor said something that really stuck with me! Due to their religious beliefs, the men of Mali can have up to four wives. My friend/tutor is engaged, and said that her future husband only wants one wife, and I said that was great, because thats what she wanted, but then she got sad and said that just because he says that, doesn't mean he wont change his mind :( i pray he keeps his promise to her)
***On a more positive note, Jared's sister gave birth to a sweet, beautiful, healthy baby boy! Finn Thomas Botkins! I so wish I was there to meet my (future) nephew/ring bearer, but I guess I will have to wait!!***
All my Love, From Mali to America!!* Peace*

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your stories! You are doing such an awesome job & I am so proud of you! I'm thinking and praying for you constantly! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stories are amazing to me Ashton. I can't begin to imagine all that you have experienced so far. Your strength and courage is commendable to say the least. My prayers are with you daily....love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though you are adjusting quite well! With each blog, you continue to share things that are so different from our way of life. I know the people there are happy, but it makes me appreciate our culture even more. I love you and I miss you terribly!!!xoxoxoxoxo. Mom

    ReplyDelete