This is Africa

This is Africa

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Something to Blog About...

Surprisingly Life in West Africa, is not always something to blog about. When I have internet, I feel like I should constantly blog, because I know that my family and friends are constantly worried about me and needing updates. Unfortunately my life is not too awfully interesting at this second. I am at a place called TSO (cant say the whole name for security purposes or something...) which has many advantages. TSO is our training site, and the location that I can come throughout my service for more training and work related activities. At TSO we are super lucky to have internet, and a doctors office with a toilet if we feel the need to be luxuries and use such a thing. TSO has AMAZING food, yet funny enough when I first got here I thought it was awful. TSO does have its disadvantages however because it is located near the Niger River, we have sooo many critters around. The night that we arrived in Mali, we stayed at TSO, and found a tarantula right outside of our huts. One volunteer shared with us the importance of flashlights, because one night at TSO he walked into his hut and nearly stepped on a Puff Adder (Viper Snake that kills within minutes after biting you...) Luckily he didn't get bitten. The mosquitos here are out of control, and due to my sweet sweet blood ;), I sometimes dread coming here due to all of the constant bites.
We are here at TSO though for a whole week, until we leave for SITE next Sunday. This time is crucial to us as volunteers, and humans. This time we are able to be with our Stage group that I have become very close to! These people are a tremendous support system here in Mali, because they go through every phase of Peace Corps at the exact same time that I do.
This week is exhausting because we have session after session on things like 'STI's' and 'Security' and 'Assault' and 'Language'....one after the other!! As tiring as it is though, I should enjoy it because starting Monday morning I am supposed to stay at my SITE for 90 days, only to go to my banking town a couple of times. I imagine that time to be the loneliest and possibly toughest experience of my life.
Every phase of Peace Corps is extremely stressful, and has the lowest of low points, but the funny thing is that no matter how low your moments go, the small highs are spectacular enough to make it all worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment